JP On Gaming

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

See you later, Alligator!

Continuing my series of painting commissions, here is a crocodillian I painted for Jacob. It required a fair amount of work to put together and make sure it would remain that way: pinning the tail and the upper jaw. The thing is massive and thought I placed it on a "large" base, the model easily could've fit on a 2" or 2.5" washer (the fact that I did not have any helped me decide).

My first layer make the thing look very forest green and I didn't like it too much. I was worried how it would come out after the dip & touch ups. The dip, which was very dark really get it a nice sheen, but the color. Came down to the touch ups, it gained a nice, drab finish which made me like it.

Before anyone says anything, I know crocodillians do NOT have teeth that white. I chose to make them white for extra pop. And these things really needed it! Though a true croc would be drab, this is a model to display and kill your enemies - and allies after you go down - with.

The eyes also pop real nice, making them look very lizard-y. Last summer (2012), I took the family with my friend Florent (from France) to an alligator farm in the San Juan Valley here in Colorado. I looked at these marvelous - and scary - animals. The almost glowing green in their eyes really struck me. I also got to hold an alligator.

Any animal that can eat me deserves my respect.



JP

2 comments: