JP On Gaming

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Conglomeration: A mini con-report

This past weekend was my first time attending Conglomeration here in Louisville, KY. Actually, it was on perhaps the best of all the possible venue: less than 2 miles from my house! Such an awesome location for me!

So, a quick recap of the weekend. It started on Friday evening for me. The table of PFS I was scheduled for (Weapon in the Rift) was cancelled. AGAIN.

This was the second time that table was cancelled. The first time was at Cincycon last month. My options were to play the Confirmation (again). The rest of the games just did not call to me (actually the ones that did were already full). So I decided that I would simply leave, and take my family out. We had a nice steak dinner. It was great.

Saturday morning, I woke up early and took my two princesses. The girls love to dress up when they attend a Pathfinder session. They were so excited to get to play with our VC, Chad. They love him.

We played "Library of the Lion" together with Russel and "Buster" from Frankfurt. We did quite well in the adventure, with only one miscommunication between Chad and us. Bah in the end it didn't really matter. Does it ever matter with PFS? But that's a rant for another day.

For the rest of the day, I ran Brandon Hodge's excellent "Feast of Ravenmoor". Definitely one of my favorites among Paizo's module. The guys did very well and they managed to all survive, in spite of my best efforts to the contrary.

Sunday morning, I got there early to run the final premiere table or 93-LC-03 Sugar and Spice. After running it a few times, it really presents some of the things Legacies represent: difficult non-trivial choices presentedin a way that neither blindside the PCs nor has a clear and obvious answer.

I must say I left on a high note. Met many new people. Converted some new players to NeoExodus. Will have to organize more Neo Exodus games here in Louisville. A great weekend indeed.

I got to speak with Jake Lovell who ran the gaming room and we exchanged some views about the con. One thing i would like to see change include the con badge. Particularly for kids. I got the girls in on a technicality and only paid for 1 badge. Bad JP. Though both had a badge.

70$ for two kids for a 4h game felt excessive. I don't mind the adult badges so much but young uns should be encouraged to attend. Esp when under 12.

Denver had the best thing of all: Con Jr. Kids loved it, was convenient, exciting for them to attend. Think of it, I will tell Jake about that so he can pass on the idea to the admins.

Another thing I would like to see here in Louisville would be a purer game con. With Fandom and now ComicCon. I think Conglo has a great opportunity to position itself as the #1 Gaming event here in KY. I saw many rooms pretty much empty of people for events. Yet Saturday' gaming room was in full swing all day!

Whatever my thoughts about how to improve. It was a great event. Easily the most exciting and best run one I attended in Kentucky so far. I will definitely be back next year. And that time I hope to be able to run and offer a full spread of Legacies adventures.

I want to thank Chad who gm'd for me and the girls. A big thank to Jake and his crew who really ran everything very smoothly so I just had to show up to my tables to play or run. They pimped out my games so I got to run with full tables throughout the weekend. And of course a big thanks to the players who attended.

Thank you all very much!

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment