JP On Gaming

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Mission accomplished! Ready for Gencon!

After a LOT of procrastinating and fighting writer's block, I finally completed functional versions of EVERYTHING for Gencon. That is six unique adventures, including four specials...

Why did it take so long to complete?

Perfectionism.

Like previous years, Gencon forms a mini-campaign and playing all the elements lets players experience the full story. While at the same time, keeping them introductory. By introductory, I meant if a players who never heard or played any FOE product, just shows up, they should be able to understand and be productive in the adventure. Not because they understand or know everything about the setting, but because the situation leads them to be able to take part in the decision. It is a style of writing I developped over the year. Something I call the "Jim Shooter Effect."

The final adventure I had to complete, Sunday Morning's Dousing Fire with Blood, had me stuck in a flat final encounter. You know the kind that went "Bad Guys here, PCs here, now fight." I needed them to have something MORE, a dynamic element that force the PCs to think a little.

A fun story... As I wrote the plots, I came up to a point where I had to make a change in the order of the specials. The elements no longer made sense. In short, I had to move the adventure originally scheduled for Thursday, The Sinking of Bastis, was moved to Saturday night, bumping the other two one night earlier.

Why? As I kept working on the stories, "Sinking" clearly became a better culmination of the story whereas the other two added to the myth and explained and made the situation clearer. Ah, the joys of writing and creating...

FOE is nearly sold out (as of this writing, there are 2 tickets available for Sunday morning's special).
- Akhamet
- Olympia
- Ozaka
- Specials

Now... Writing over, it is time to start looking at the next idea and projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment