JP On Gaming

Thursday, July 29, 2021

[Kinda Book Review] Alan Furst: A Hero of France

Taking a step away from comics, I picked this book up I received a while ago. So historical fiction/ semi-bio picks. Ever since my first visit to Paris in 1988, I have been interested in more.

But on to the book!

The story presents us "Matthieu" who leads a Resistance cell. He is athletic, intelligent, calm, prepared, and a great lover. In short, he has no flaws. Most of the characters in this story other than two of his allies are that type of character: cardboard, predictable, and without flaw. No, "caring about friends" is NOT a flaw.

Even the German captain who comes from Hamburg to track him down has all the right thing: he's not a nazi, patriot, good family man, not cruel, efficient, and competent. However, there is no confrontation between him and Matthieu.

I really wanted to like this, but the characters are fake and too good to be relatable.

So I will settle for a 2/5. This book is well researched and presents a number of interesting tidbits of information but in the end, only helps our hero be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment