JP On Gaming

Saturday, April 15, 2023

[Kinda Book Review] Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

I was wanting to read something non-comic and non-historical. I looked briefly through my daughter's YA collection but found nothing that drew my eye. So what did I do?

I headed to Amazon and tried to find something that could be interesting. The blurb sounded interesting so it made the way into my shopping cart.

The best way I can describe this book is the adventure of Gary Lou. Gary is the best at everything. He's only fourteen years old but leads a band of cutthroats and bandits. He is the most brutal and ruthless of them. He is the most learned and knowledgeable of them. He always knows where to go. He outsmarts everyone.

Gary Lou.

I got to laugh about it. Eventually, I started to guess how he would escape the traps and avoid the challenges. He just sucked.

There are a number of things that had a lot of potential in there, that could have been expanded and used to make it interesting.

First off, the setting has a lot of interesting things that were wasted by the presence of Gary.

- The story is set in a far-future where technology is now magic. There are strange AIs, insane computers, and a radioactivity mutating people.

- The cast around Gary is more interesting, but they are only present to show how good and awesome Gary is. I just cannot understand why all these grown men would just bow to this little bully killing them on a whim.

- The opponents seem to just wait for Gary to come before they do anything. They are always surprised because he shows up without them waiting for him.

So... What do I think about this book? It sucked. It was terrible and I could not wait to reach the end. Gary warrants a 1 but I was really interested in finding out more about the world and the cast. There is so much more to discover and explore there. And it seems FUN.

So ignoring Gary, I rated this book to a 2/5. However, I can easily say that I will NOT continue reading this series. I don't care how Gary will coast through the challenges.

Prediction: He wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment