JP On Gaming

Monday, April 27, 2020

[Kinda Book Review] Marvel's Universe X Part 1

It has been a while since I read a modern comic. Most of them I find lacking in any kind of story. So when I went to a local comic book shop on one of their big sale day. We picked up a couple of modern trade books really cheap.

I let the book lie on my shelf for a few months (I received it for Christmas!) before I came back to it. I was reading a different book at the time and wanted to read a comic to change the pace.

This book took me by surprise in that it merges all of Marvel's universes into one and presented a coherent and engaging story. With humanity mutated and the world shifted, the many threads flow together into a story that drew me in, despite myself. I wanted to hate it, but could not. Although for a while, the story seemed to simply not go anywhere and meander, the link were tied up together neatly into an interesting reveal.

It was interesting to see some characters re-imagined: Captain Britain as King Britain, Colossus as the leader of Russia, Peter Parker as an older cop was interesting, and it was cool to see Gargoyle and a blinded Watcher.

Lady Thor was an eye-roll because that's just a stupid idea and the girl-Spider-man I didn't care for.

The art is top-notch, even for something that goes across a few artists. There were no awful artists. Some parts are quite wordy but it did not detract from my reading experience.

As a final rating... I would give it a 3.5/5 which rounds out to a 4/5. Seems a little high but I can live with that number. I liked it enough that I put volume 2 on my Xmas list for 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment