JP On Gaming

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Conquistadores of Mexico!

It seems I've always been intrigued by the era of discovery and colonization. Being a descendant of early French settler to New France (before 1630), I've always been intrigued by these early settlers. These past few years I read a number of books on the French regime there: the courts, the way of life, and the creation of these new cities.

Then in the late 80s/early 90s, I picked up a copy of one of the RPGs that would change my life: Gurps Swashbuckler (2nd edition). I devoured that book left, right and center. I kept dreaming of running a campaign with it. To this day I would love to create a setting set in that type of environment: you are settlers to a new land and have to fight your way to making your colony successful. I tried it many times with various degrees of success, but I never really sat down and WROTE that as a complete, coherent setting. Maybe one day...

The simple art within made me dream of sailing the Caribbeans, raiding, pillaging and saying a whole lot of AAAaaaarghs! I had even conceived a small BBS-style game to mimic the game "Pirates". It would've been great.

But that was not to be. So I dreamed and read about it. One of the things that I read about was history. And a lot of it. So I learned with trepidation of the Spanish colonization of South America, and the conquest of Mexico.

It was only a matter of time before I got my hands on some miniatures for the period... So here they are! I like the idea of them carrying the huge cross (made of coffee-stirrers). I also like how the flag of Castile came out. I'll have the Aztec later.


JP

No comments:

Post a Comment