JP On Gaming

Monday, August 24, 2009

Gameday Organization Roadblocks…

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the current rate of registration for the Our Realms game day. In less than 24h of opening registrations, tables are beginning to fill up for what I think will be a unique event in LFR history.
When I came up with the idea, just under a month ago, a number of things went through my mind as potential road blocks. Gamer’s Haven opening hours, the number of DMs who had a MyRealms adventure to run (and those willing to run them in a public setting), the interest of the player base, if anyone would be willing to ride down from Denver, the food situation and a number of other small things.

In short, the potential issues/ roadblocks were pretty big. So I spoke to my friend Lenny “Mr 4e” and he encouraged me to give it a go. So I used the two main local yahoogroups (lfr-Moonshae@Yahoogroups.com and LFRatEG@Yahoogroups.com) to gage interest. Within 24h, four other guys had stepped forward with a MyRealms and were willing to run it publicly. Within a week, I had 6 DMs (including myself) ready to go...

Then I requested a site at the ever-great Warhorn.Org (http://www.warhorn.org/OurRealms/) for the game day and began looking to find a schedule that would work. With 6 DMs, I had versatility in setting up my games. I had 3 slots and 4 tables. This would give each DM 1 free slot (so they could play something) or if demand overflowed, we could offer up to two extra tables. Having options is great as an organizer…

Next, I spoke to Rob at the Haven to obtain an extra hour to play. I must say, that Rob & Troy are top-notch guys who go the extra mile so many times. Rob agreed to give us one extra hour (they will open 1h earlier) to run the event.

So this leaves me with some of the questions… Player base interest & Denver riders. Looking at the list right now, the interest is there, I have no doubt. There should be a few car riding down from Denver so that issue is also moot.

This leaves me with one issue… food! There are a few restaurants within walking distance but the schedule is REAL tight for the day… So I’m looking at a few things. Maybe bring in a Grill and fire up some burgers & brats. Maybe order in some pizza for everyone. Maybe call some other fast food place that caters and get everything in one go. I’ll admit I’d hate to have to cut short adventures too much.

So here I am with most of the roadblocks hurdled and behind me with a dilemma and more food for thought (yes, the pun is intended)…

No comments:

Post a Comment