JP On Gaming

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Gencon 2018: Part 4: Highs, Lows, and Lessons

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

Highs and Lows

Starting with the Highs:

- The biggest kuddos and most awesome thing about Gencon 2018 was the FOE GM Team of Isabelle and JS, two dear friends who are just awesome, top-notch, super-GMs. They made my stuff look and seems SOOOOOO good! Thanks so much to both of you.

- I was really glad that this year, All tables happened. That was seven tables of FOE games total! The biggest turnout for FOE event ever at Gencon. What a benchmark to bring up! I can't wait for next year!

- I want to thank God for bringing so many great people in my life. I am truly blessed to knowing so many people that share my addiction to RPGs. There are so many people to put in this section. I'll start with my wife who tolerated my talking about Gencon for MONTHS, next come my kids who playtested all of the adventures, my GMs Isabelle & JS who did a fantastic job, my (many) other playtesters, my good friends Florent and Florence who came to see us and played some 5e goodness, and my L5R GMs: Brian-F and Phil-C.

- I will also point out the many people with whom I got to stop by and chat throughout the con: James-R, Randy-P, all the players who took a chance on FOE. To you all, I thank and salute you. If you saw me and recognized me at any point, then this section is for you.

- It has been said that you know you are having a good time when 3 hours seem like 3 minutes. Well those four days seemed like four minutes.

Now a few lows, or "how could it have been made better?"

- Throughout the cons, we had a few no-shows despite us being sold out almost from day 1. Guys, if you buy a ticket, please show up, or trade it in/exchange it for a refund. It will greatly help groups like FOE to grow in the face of Gencon.

What Lessons did we learn from Gencon this year?

- Park under where you GM. This is especially true as I spent Thursday having to run to get food, and had to skip lunch. It was not great. Yes it is expensive but being able to park and access your food/game stuff between slots is worth its weight in gold. I will not make that mistake again.

- This one I knew, and I still did it: Don't do midnight madness or any game that starts after 9PM if you GM and/or drive the next morning. It makes things so much more difficult.

- Don't go to the dealer hall. If you want to keep your cash, don't go. Just, don't. Too many shinies. Too many goodies. Too many things to own. Just don't go. But you will.

- I was quite worried about it, but Akhamet is a massive hit copies are selling very well, and I could not be more thrilled. I really think I need to produce more material for it, pronto. That will not be difficult, because there is so much to do, so much that can be done with it.

Conclusion

Gencon 2018 was a massive success for FOE. My two GMs just knocked it out of the park! They were awesome.

You will guess correctly, that I do plan to have FOE return next year to run some more material. ActionMan offered to GM for me, so did Will... Could we have 4 GMs?

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment