JP On Gaming

Saturday, July 18, 2009

My new 40k army...

Usually (and this is the case here), I begin painting, converting and building some of the miscellaneous models I have at home until finally, they begin to form units. Then I begin to think of an army I'd like to use and expand. My interest in the Guard dates from the mid-90S when I first started playing 40k.

Early in January, after playing my Chaos Daemon army for a few months, I began to think about making a new army... Something different. After some searching, I wanted to go back to an Imperial army. The Sisters is an army I really wanted to build. Never having had an Inquisitorial army, the challenge was there and the modelling opportunities also excited me. So I took the plunge...

First I planned on using my old Marines to complement my Sisters of Battle. But that was not to be. That stupid restriction about no marines in a sisters' army really annoyed me, especially since I realized this AFTER my Sisters were on their way! But no worries, I hit ebay looking for the ever-elusive bargain on Sisters. Although I could not get any real deals, I did manage to get deals on rhino-chassis. So that helped! Knowing I would not be able to use my marines, I then looked at the Guard. I wanted to use some allied guardsmen in larger battles or as a core for a Daemonhunter army. Because frankly... who can resist those Grey Knight miniatures? They are, I believe some of the best sculpt jobs for troops GW ever produced... However Daemonhunters are seriously lacking in numbers and numbers go hand in hand with 5th edition...

A fun thing was that when I was building my Sisters' army, the Guard Codex was but a few month away. Not wanting to really invest in the Imperial Guard, I focused on Sisters of Battle and completed that army... I have been playing them since the beguining of the year and enjoying them. A LOT.

Back to the Guard... In my Sister's army, I use the Zealots from Chapter Approved. They are not very good, but can and do soak up a lot of fire. Building my Zealots I got a hold of a number of Necromunda models. They really look good and fit the bill well as Zealots. But as 5 turned to 20 to 25, I began to think about making an Imperial Guard. But time and funds made me focus on the Sisters.

Thus, the Guard project was shelved.

After getting a pdf for convenience, I purchased the new Imperial Guard Codex this past saturday. It was definitly an impulse purchase since I had very little interest in playing them. But a few lucky trades saw me acquire a few tanks, some guardsmen bits and other odds and ends. So without trying, I currently have a horde of guardsmen, fantasy empire minis, Mordheim models, Necromunda models, 2 units of stormtroopers, 3 leman russ, 1 hellhound, a few rhinos and some assorted bitz. To add to that, I have a few units of Grey Knights.

So to keep busy, I have been painting up my mismatched band of misfit...
So there it is... How I came to start an Imperial Guard Army...

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment