JP On Gaming

Friday, July 31, 2009

I don’t like it!

What to do when you are writing an adventure and that suddenly you stare at your hard work and go. “Boy is that terrible or what?” Of course thinking of the time you invested in your project and then thinking of throwing it all out the door is hard to swallow, but the sad truth is: it happens.

It happens a lot.

It happens a lot more than I’d like to admit.

In fact about half of my ideas end up on an “I don’t like you anymore” folder. This folder includes adventures I don’t like or that I decided I would rather not complete or those for which I have a great idea for a setting but not an adventure to go with it…It also include projects I started but never completed. In short, it’s growing all the time.

Write what you had in mind (usually a few bullet points will do) and put it away. By completing the idea, you can easily go back to it later and know what you were thinking at a glance.

The important thing is to never throw away anything… Though you may not like what you are doing today, tomorrow or in a year’s time you may find that idea is great for a new campaign or you have another idea that completes what you had. And by then you often have part of your adventure already written!

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment