JP On Gaming

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Bittersweet Joy of Ending a Campaign

Finishing a campaign is always bittersweet. After months of campaigning going back to last summer, the first run of "Witches of Pikemaster" for the DM's Guild has come to a close.

There is something sad about finishing such a campaign, such as when I completed Curse of Strahd or the sequel I wrote for it, Curse Of Strahd II: Griffon Hill Manor. There is some relief, but also a feeling of melancholy.

I felt a similar feeling when I completed my reading of Le Troisieme Testament: Julius. Bittersweet joy.

Now the finale played out very much like I wanted it: it was epic, with many close calls from the PCs, a battle that had many shifting elements (thanks to fun lair action that added surprise to the encounter - and made it much tougher).

Looking back at this campaign, it was thought in the mold of the "Old Classics" and is steeped in the AD&D lord of the late 80s/ early 90s with elements from Monster Manual II,

So to ActionMan, Billy, Corey, JP2, Marvin, and Sarah - a big thank you for going along with this crazy idea of mine filled with cavorting, innuendos, and of course, witches.

I leave you with action shots of the final battles of the campaign. I put no comments on them, but they were both bloody affairs the players were very glad to pull their carcasses out of. (click to see larger versions)

No comments:

Post a Comment