JP On Gaming

Thursday, March 16, 2017

[Review] Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories

An old love... I used to own this on an old VHS in the original Japanese subtitled in Korean and I read the text out of a printed script.

At the time, I thought it was very innovative, since I had not seen the before or after series.

Taking place three years after the events of the One-Year War. Zeon is defeated and there is peace across the world. This story is about two new Gundams, built in Australia. One of them is stolen by a Zeon pilot just after it is loaded with nuclear missiles. Now why it was loaded with them, I don't quite know. The thief is Anavel Gato, a Zeon pilot working for the Delaz Fleet, an offshoot of Zeon who believe the Principality gave up too early.

The Earth forces try to recapture the Gundam but ultimately fail as the Zeon take in into space.

This story has a lot of plot twists, serving as a bridge between the original series and the Z-Gundam. The ultimate villains' goal is fiendish indeed. Even Gato's motivations and hatred of the old Zeon leadership is understandable. There are a few side-plots of interest.

Story: The story starts out slow and gathers up a lot of speed with twists and turns all the way to the end. Secret deals, love affairs, internal politics, I found myself really enjoying this. I'll give it a 4/5.

Characters: The characters here are diverse and interesting, as we have the pilots, the engineers, the command structure, military and civilians. It was easy to follow and keep track of them. 4/5.

Animation: The animation is not a little dated (it is about twenty five years old by now) but is still quite good. 4/5.

Overall: Overall, this was as enjoyable now as when I first watched it back in the 90s. I will give this a solid 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment