Thursday
I was excited to get there and start the show. Several new GMs would run for FOE this year, and I was curious to hear them run, and see their style, and where/how I could best use them in the future. Since they all came recommended by trusted people... Trusting Brandon had yielded good results so far, so I pushed my luck.
The games went off without a hitch, we adapted a few things and all was well in the world.
The evening had the first special set in Ozaka. A mix of social and politics called Friends we make had a number of unique elements I was trying:
- the GMs (including myself) had some mini-larp elements to pass rumors/ stories
- the adventure ended with each tables choosing which side of the coming battle they would pick: the Kobochi, or Sazame.
I think it went well enough and the players left in good spirits.
One day in the bag.

Friday
Friday, I had to run my first table since 2022 or 2023... I was pretty excited and I had practiced the voice of my main NPC until my wife told me to stop doing it. (I didn't, I just did it when she wasn't around.) I had a lot of fun running the game and seeing the choices and decisions weigh on the players. Especially when the Epilogue was read...
The afternoon was pretty light on ticket sales, but the tables that played had a great time.
The evening had the one Olympia special this year, To Find an Enchantress where the PCs had to deal with the rather troublesome enchantress who came up with a pretty good plan to confound the heroes.
I had a great time watching their faces, especially Rees' table that somehow pulled themselves from the brink using a bane spell. The Ancient War Golem had most of the table unconscious at one point! Bravo.
Bravo.
Now I have a story. The kind of things that can only happen at Gencon. During the event, I went to GM HQ (for some reason) and as I returned, just outside our room, a couple cosplaying as Zeus and Hera were eating. I approached them, asking for a picture. As we briefly talked, I told them that we were running a game in there dealing with the Greek gods. I asked them if they would like to appear in the game as their alter egos. They were both as excited as I was. We plotted a little surprise for the players (and GMs).
I introduced them briefly, they entered the room. The first table to praise/call their name immediately were fully healed. It was great to see the GMs going "WTF?"
Since they had to attend some other event, they left quickly. Another Gencon gem!
No comments:
Post a Comment