JP On Gaming

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

You’re not writing a novel... Wait, I am!

This year, I am taking part in the National Novel Writing Month (or Nanowrimo). The short of it is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. For full details, visit http://www.nanowrimo.org. My username, without any surprises is JPChapleau.

I heard about the idea through Roger French on Facebook and it intrigued me. Writing all those adventure writing articles here for you and no having any "real" writing experience was something I thought would be interesting. After all, I often refer to "you are not writing a novel" so I thought of trying my hand at it.

The experience is very strange for one who has spent so much time writing adventures and trying to cover as many possibilities as I could think of. Well, now my protagonists are fully under my control. I am writing about a knight, Sir Azrel who becomes involved in a number of plots and stories. Sir Azrel, as many of you know was the name of my LG Demon-Hunter character. Well here, he is a holy warrior.

Since I did not have any ideas that could take the character from beginning to end, I chose a format I like a lot: short stories. If you ever read Conan, then the format is similar. The stories happen in random places and random times, with a few common threads. This short story format allows for a lot of creativity without necessarily explaining how the characters got there.

There are a few things I find strange:

  • It is like writing pages upon pages of boxed text!
  • It is like describing a scene and sending PCs (except I play all the characters) through it, writing the results as the scene unfolds.
  • No need for stat blocks! HURRAH!
  • Background is very simple… It’s almost like writing for LFR!

    I’ll keep you updated on how I am doing as I inch towards the finish line. I am already over 16,000.

    JP

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment