JP On Gaming

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Gencon 2023 After Action Report Part 4

Parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 6

Sunday

And just a quickly, it was Sunday morning. Packed up the van and back to the Marriott.

There is always trepidation about Sunday. Ticket sales mean nothing. (It was sold out). Every time, people buy tickets but do not show up. Particularly on Sunday.

I was happy to give Bill a free slot, so he headed to the dealer hall to his wallet's dismay!

The crew was in high spirits with their voices still intact - a bonus at that time of the con!

We had four mostly full tables, after seating generics. I had to turn generics away many times during the con - a nice problem to have.

Power Is FickleDousing Fire with Blood is an adventure I ran at Gencon... 2014..? I initially thought to re-write it for 5e and run it. However, the more I looked at it, the less it pleased me. I was really in a bind because the more I worked on it, the less useful it became to me: It set up no thread I could follow up on. It was just... useless.

Then I was talking to someone else about adventure design and told that person. "You know sometime, you just have to flip your premise on its head."

Lightning.

I knew what I had to do. I scrapped EVERYTHING I had for this adventure. I mean the lot. And jumped forward in the future to the events AFTER the original, bypassing them completely. From there, things came through. I did have one encounter I thought sucked, got help and solved that problem. The result was something well-formed in my mind.

Then I sent my GMs loose on it... They created a third version of the story. Though it wasn't what I had planned, I thought what they did made the story a lot more fluid and added choices to the players. So I got to look good for money added.

#Winning

That was it for Gencon. Packing and leaving.

Thirty miles out of Indy, I realized I forgot my folding table in the room! GAH! It was good one: light and easy to open and close (we have others but they are pains to transport). Oh well... It was gone... *sigh*

Tried to get it back, but it was gone. I may get it back next year...

Monday Onward

Monday, I came down with a severe case of con crud (no Covid). That lasted for most of the week.

I slept most of the day re-watching the Nashville Grand Prix as I kept falling asleep over it. It was great to be back.

Click for larger version

Parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 6

No comments:

Post a Comment