JP On Gaming

Friday, March 25, 2016

[After-Action Review] Mtac 16: Colonel Sanders, Nicolas Cage and a T-Rex

Today, I attended MTAC 16 (a gaming/anime con here in Nashville TN). Though I will not attend the whole con due to other prior engagements, I agreed to participate in a special event organized by Michael-H called "Night of One Hundred GMs". The specifics of which I did not quite grasp, but I told myself: I would attend and try it.

I was asked to provide a "character sheet" detailing things I was great/good/ okay at. In whatever setting/ universe. I could create whatever I wanted. The only idea I had was of a viking skald/priest. His best skills were in the field of talking and linguistics. Fairly standard character (for me).

I must stress that I had no idea what was to come.

Now let's backtrack some sixteen or so hours.

I attended the hockey game between the Vancouver Canucks and the Nashville Predators. After a mostly lackluster start, the Preds rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win in a shoot-out. I left pretty excited about it and in good spirits. I drove back home, stopping at the nearest gas station to fill up. Filled up, I jumped back in the car.

Will not start.

After calling my wife to bail me out, we boosted the car and I was off.

Same thing in the morning. Would not start.

Many curse words later, I was off to get a new battery installed. I left the car there, walked to work and worked all morning, fixed a number of issues and walked back. By then, I was no longer early, but "just in time" (with 2 minutes to spare). Way too close for comfort.

I met Michael and his accomplice Noah at the door. I was shown in to a room filled with people. I was handed my character sheet with the abilities I sent Michael a few days before.

I won't go into too many details about the madness that follows, but the short of the formula was that the audience was "the one-hundred GMs" and did some nasty things to us we had to handle through the madness that happened.

We fought an ancient, venerable T-Rex, a giant fire-breating kobold god that rode on a giant battle rooster, an amorphous one-thousand Nicolas Cage-looking creature from space and I had to swallow a drink made of green-colored sludge. We scared the giant chicken by mentioning his mortal enemy: Colonel Hyrum Sanders...

Madness I tell you! But really funny. Really simple and funny as heck!

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment