JP On Gaming

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

[Kinda Book Report] The Crimson Legion by Troy Denning

Continuing with the audiobooks, I listened to the second book of the Prism Pentad from Dark Sun. From my recollections, these first two were the best of the series before things went crazy, leading to the destruction of the world by book five.

Here the city of Tyr is assailed by the Lion of Urik, Hamanu (one of my favorite Sorcerer-Kings). The story has a lot of twists for something that start off in a mundane way: War between the two city-states.

Again, the character work really shines here, with Rikus certain of himself, Tithian being and delightful jerk, Neeva stuck between the two, and Caelum the dwarf. Though Neeva should've gotten more spotlight, I think.

I think this book is the closest to what I think a Dark Sun campaign should be: you won't get a full happy end. Especially not if you tackle the Sorcerer-Kings directly. However, you CAN manage to outsmart them or get what you want in spite of them. The villains are intelligent and realistic as all levels: they try to twist the situation to their own benefit. Whether they are from Tyr or Urik... I do also like that Rikus has to lead an army made of people of various alignments, goals, and abilities. The templars, the gladiators, the slaves, and the half-giants. And even what the enemy sends after them.

My only issue has to do with the format of the audiobooks. In a physical book, I can re-read a paragraph or sentence, but for and audiobook, that's more problematic.

Rating? 4/5. Listening to this book, sparked a lot of ideas for campaigns and one-shots.

I'm debating listening to book 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment