JP On Gaming

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

JP at PaizoCon 2013: An extensive post-mortem, Part 3

This is the third and final installment of my trip to PaizoCon. You can read part one and part two of the series on the blog.

The Preview Banquet

I have been quite vocal about not being overly excited about last year's preview banquet. Not for any specific reason (though the endless applauding for everyone, their two dogs, four cats and blue-ink pen, individually felt excessive). So this year, I chose not to participate. Plus one of the good things about twitter is that as soon as anything interesting was announced, I got notified by like 20 tweets!

Still I think it is a good time for Paizo to show off their new stuff to avid fans.

I have to admit that I'm really not digging most of what is announced for next year. Bestiary 4 is "fine" (but I haven't bought #3 so I'm not sure I'll get #4). The strategy guide is clearly not for me. The Mythic stuff is safe on the store shelves: I have no desire to play that and the AP that goes with it.

The one bright highlight for me was the announce of the new Adventure Path set in Osirion. Ancient Egypt is such a great vehicle for adventure. It evokes images in any gamer worth his salt: pyramids, sphynxes, mummies, great magic and Osirion does capture that. I am really looking forward to it and hopefully have a chance to play that.

Random Shots

LPJ Design It was great to see LPJ in person again. He and I have diverging views on... well pretty much everything, but that mixture creates something intriguing, dynamic and fun. Plus he paid me! So that's a HUGE WIN!

I also go to meet with Jeff Lee, the head writer for NeoExodus. He cranks up some great stuff for us.

My Other Boss I also got to talk with Venus De Coy, head of Lady Ophelia, for whom I did some work earlier this year. I am looking forward to seeing the finalized books for her Kronea campaign setting.

Overall Impressions of PaizoCon PaizoCon still has that "small con" feel to it, but it is growing. A LOT. In the three years I have attended the event, it went from a small local thing to a growing event. That's great and healthy for the game industry. A lot of big names cross its halls and are usually able to talk for a few moments with you, if only to say hi. If you have never been, I recommend it. Go! The place is full of devoted fans.

Will I go back next year? That is a big question. Do I *WANT* to go back? Yes, in a heartbeat! Can I go back? Is a different question. With the big family move, I am tempted to say "no." But I really want to go. So I'll leave my options open. I would really want to run more NeoExodus there.

How did NeoExodus do? NeoExodus is starting to get recognition and running events add to that. I had a number of people who returned and exchanged tickets to play. So that tells me they enjoyed the experience. The brutal, brutal experience...

The Trip I did say it but having a hotel with an airport shuttle was a big pleaser for me.

I hope to see PaizoCon keep striving and growing in the years to come.

That's it for this year!

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment